Monday, January 28, 2008

Portfolio: Symphony

This week in class we are reading Daniel Pink's chapter about Symphony. He defines symphony as "the ability to put together the pieces. It is the capacity to synthesize rather than analyze......to invent something new by combining elements nobody else thought to pair." I completely agree with him, and I am writing my Wikified Research Paper on this chapter in fact. I will write a ton more about this subject in my WRP and not here.

I love classical music. Part of that is probably because I have played violin for a little over 9 years now. I don't have a ton of Bach, Mozart, Beethoven and Haydn on my iPod, but I bet I have more than most people. Daniel Pink wrote in his portfolio section that in order to get more Symphony training, you should listen to classical music. Of course, being the classical music nerd I am, I am excited. I listen and play classicla enough that I know a few songs that some don't. Have you ever listened to the 4th Brandenburg Concerto, movement #3 by Bach? I find it to be one of my favorite classical songs ever. So I am going to listen to that for my Portfolio reflection this week.

It went good, just so you know. And since I play violin, I was even able to play it. Of course. I was only one violin, but it was good enough. I also listened to some other works and I could tell how these composers thought of the big picture. They combine brass, strings, woodwinds and percussion to get a masterpiece. That is a helpful skill to have in life: to look at the whole thing. Dan Pink was right in saying that symphony is going to be one of the big things in business, in life, and in education. He must've been looking at the big picture.

Here's the quote:

I need to know who put my calculator in Jell-O or I'm gonna lose my freakin' mind! - Andy from The Office

Go listen to some classical music,
A-Websta

No comments: