Saturday, January 26, 2008

Portfolio: Story

At the end of each chapter of Daniel Pink's "six senses" in his book A Whole New Mind: Why Right-Brainers Will Rule The Future he has a few ideas for the reader. He calls it a "portfolio". My teacher has assigned us to do something from this portfolio each week. For this last week's chapter (I was sick and have now only finished it) we read about story. Story is being embraced by big companies now, he says. If you want to know more about it, I'm not going to give it away and you should read it for yourself. Anyway, the portfolio had a couple different ways to show story. I tried the "mini-saga", which is a 50 word- no more, no less -short story of a sort. I wrote mine about an amazing goal scored by Wayne Rooney of Manchester United. It was scored against Newcastle United.

To start, I wrote down all i knew about it. Next, I found more information. Then, I tried writing a mini-saga. It is really not very good, but it gives enough of a picture to figure out what's going on. Here it is:

The Sun's out and bright. Old Trafford's majestic again. 56 long minutes leave it one-nil to Newcastle. The grass is crisp. The crown is angry, yet silent and waiting. A long ball down to the penalty box, a misjudged header to Rooney. Leg up. Is it his time?

As I said it's not amazing, but it's good enough. This goal is considered Wayne Rooney's best goal ever. To view it, just watch here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3Gz91h_Cz7k&feature=related

Anyway, so there's my mini-saga.

Catch Ya Later,
A-Websta

No comments: